[distcc] remote distcc

nixo nixo at exprodigy.net
Fri Sep 23 19:35:25 GMT 2005

     I'm working on a peer to peer platform on which people can write
applications for the use of anybody who wants or is interested in
sharing their cpu free time with the community.
     One of the best purposes I can think of for this, is a compiler. And
I just adore distcc.
     You can read what I've written so far here:

http://nyti.dyn.ee/theinternetportal.html

     I'm not done yet, I want to get some applications working before I
give it out.
     Anyway, I was wondering if there are any pitfalls I can expect.
     The way my system works is you can remotly connect a tcp socket to
any other node on this p2p network, so I was going to basically run
distccd in inetd mode from what appears to be localhost.
     Technically it should work. I would only worry about security
issues, I read your docs, and nothing there seemed scary. If you give it
a limited user, it should be able to do its thing and nothing else, so I
figured it's up to the admin of the machine to restrict use and
permissions, but I was just wondering if there were any non obvious
pitfalls I may be missing.

     Thanks.