[distcc] distcc zeroconf patch issues

Lennart Poettering mzqvfgpp at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 4 13:38:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, 04.08.05 09:54, Martin Pool (mbp at sourcefrog.net) wrote:

> On  3 Aug 2005, Nathan Caldwell <saintdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was testing out the distcc zeroconf patch that's in cvs here:
> > http://archzoom.sourcecontrol.net/archzoom.cgi/mbp@sourcefrog.net--2004/distcc--devel--2--patch-158/patches/howl-mdns.diff?diff=2
> >
> > My problem is that distccd doesn't seem to compile with howl support.
> > The client seems to be fine and lists both the --show-hosts, and -j
> > options in the help, and both appear to work.
> >
> > The server (distccd), however doesn't seem to get howl enabled when
> > it's compiled. The --zeroconf switch that is enabled when HAVE_HOWL is
> > defined is not shown in the usage, and 'distccd --zeroconf' returns:
> >
> > distccd: ERROR: --zeroconf: unknown option
>
> I don't know off hand what's causing this.  The patch may be out of
> date.  If you can figure out the problem and let us know that would be
> great, because I'd like to merge zeroconf support when I get time to do
> a new release.

Please don't merge it. HOWL is based on Apple's mDNSResponder code
which is licensed under AFPL which caused it to be removed from
Debian, since AFPL is considered non-free under the DFSG.

When I wrote that patch some time ago I wasn't aware of that
problem. Now I am and working on "Avahi", an LGPLed replacementf for
the Apple code.

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Avahi

I will eventually come up with a new patch using avahi.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/