[distcc] Which AS gets called/Used?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Aug 3 13:40:50 GMT 2005

On  3 Aug 2005, Josh Patterson <josh at pattersonmail.org> wrote:

> I'm actually using pre built binary crosscompilers from Montavista on my
> linux boxes, and I used your Crosstool(http://kegel.com/crosstool/)
> scripts to build a cygwin hosted cross compiler. Both envs ended up
> needing the sym link from as->ppc_405-as.
>
> I have tried setting the path up in different ways, with ONLY the cross
> compielr bins in it, with it first, and usuall toolchain in a later
> section of PATH, and with the cross compilers as the last item in the PATH.
>
> Does distcc/distccd ignore the AS environment variable? How does the
> "system" determine which AS should be used?

distcc ignores the AS variable, and as far as I can see gcc does too.
It only affects Make's rules when you are compiling directly from
assembler to object, e.g with

  foo.o: foo.s

I'm not sure, but I think the choice of assembler is built into gcc's
spec file when gcc is compiled.  Perhaps you need to reconfigure the
cross compiler to use the fully-qualified assembler name?  But I would
have thought crosstools would deal with that.

First of all, you should work out whether the problem occurs on the
Montavista or crosstools compilers.  From your description you should be
able to reproduce it simply by cross-building locally on the server;
distcc is probably not actually relevant here.