[distcc] Recurssion management?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Jun 3 21:18:55 GMT 2005

On  3 Jun 2005, David Weeks <dkmw at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm new to distcc (and ccache), and I am in the process of trying it out
> for the second time.  The first time didn't work, so I've taken a closer
> look.
>
> Also, I'm using Gentoo, also new to me.

Welcome.

> In configuring participating hosts, I've set each host to fully utilize
> available distcc hosts, to complete their builds.  Yet it occured to me,
> that references could become circular.  In other words, if host A hands
> off to host B and host C, what is to prevent hosts B and C from handing
> off back to A or each other?  Also, the MAKEOPTS="-j##" thingee.  Each
> host has that value set to the network availability of fellow distcc
> partcipants.  When it receives a compile job, does that option come into
> play?  Or is distcc smart enought to determine optimal localhost settings?

That kind of circularity shouldn't happen, because the distcc server
tries to invoke the real compiler, not the distcc client.  It
specifically checks that it's not running a masquerade link, and there
is a safeguard in case this fails.  (See the source).  If it does happen,
please report a bug.