[distcc] Recurssion management?

David Weeks dkmw at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 14:19:15 GMT 2005

Hello.

I'm new to distcc (and ccache), and I am in the process of trying it out
for the second time.  The first time didn't work, so I've taken a closer
look.

Also, I'm using Gentoo, also new to me.

In configuring participating hosts, I've set each host to fully utilize
available distcc hosts, to complete their builds.  Yet it occured to me,
that references could become circular.  In other words, if host A hands
off to host B and host C, what is to prevent hosts B and C from handing
off back to A or each other?  Also, the MAKEOPTS="-j##" thingee.  Each
host has that value set to the network availability of fellow distcc
partcipants.  When it receives a compile job, does that option come into
play?  Or is distcc smart enought to determine optimal localhost settings?

I'm not a memeber of this list, so I hope replies are posted via email
that I'll receive.

David Weeks,
Tampa, Florida, USA.