[distcc] distcc times out in mid-build

Donohue, Michael mdonohue at paypal.com
Fri Jun 3 18:18:56 GMT 2005

After a state file hasn't bee updated for 60 seconds, the monitor tool
removes it.   That is the message you're seeing in the verbose log -
dcc_mon_kill_old.   This doesn't really shed any light on your problem.

Distcc does have some timeouts built in.  Do these files take a long
time to compile without distcc?  A long time would be greater than 5
minutes or so for each file, as I believe that's the default.  If so,
you might just need longer timeouts.

Michael

Glazman
> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 9:43 AM
> To: 'distcc at lists.samba.org'
> Subject: [distcc] distcc times out in mid-build
>
> In the middle of my build, distcc suddenly hangs on a single file (not
> always the same).  It doesn't matter if the file is being compiled
locally
> or not, and the machine doing the compiling will only be at about 10%
CPU
> usage mostly from cc1plus.
>
> distccmon-text tells me the file is compiling, over and over and over,
> with all other activity ceasing. Finally after a minute or so,
distccmon-
> text goes totally blank. Eventually the build will time out and tell
me:
> "Timed out waiting for data from remote." (if building remotely) or it
> will simply fail if local.
>
> If I set DISTCC_VERBOSE=1 and log to a file, I am told this is
happening:

> distccmon-text[520] (dcc_mon_do_file) process
> //.distcc/state/binstate_11052
> (repeated about 100 times in a row)
> distccmon-text[520] (dcc_mon_kill_old) unlink
> //.distcc/state/binstate_11052
> (EOF)
>
> What is happening in that final step? What exactly does
'dcc_mon_kill_old'