[distcc] Cygwin and DISTCC: how do i point cygwin's distcc to the crosscompiler?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri May 20 19:27:18 GMT 2005

Ryan Churches wrote:
>>The -fno-stack-protection option is added by a patch,
>>http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/
>>If you want that, you'll have to drop it into the patches/gcc-3.4.3
>>directory of crosstool after adjusting it to apply with
>>-p1 instead of -p0.  I haven't tried that myself ...
>
> i know the patch program a little, i know what your talking about, and
> i can handle that, BUT, something is still amiss
>
> it turns out, some compiles will succeed, but others will fail.  i
> made a very detailed easy to follow paste in http://pastebin.ca/12284
> which i was hoping you would look at when you had a minute.
>
> i was using grub as my test package, but i added grkellm and links and
> got different results with all three.

That just means some packages use the -no-stack-protection option,
and some don't.

> p.s.  someone suggested that maybe i need to have both glibc's
> compiled with ntpl support.

When using distcc, the glibc for the server compiler shouldn't matter (much?)
so you ought to be ok.

If you want to be certain, you might
want to use crosstool to build the compiler used on the
distcc client side, too.  But that might not mesh well with gentoo,
which you seem to be trying to build.

 > i tried to run the libc.so.6 file to find out, and this happened:
>
> cygusr at dindoze ~
> $ /opt/crosstool/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.5-glibc-2.3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libc.so.6
> /opt/crosstool/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.5-glibc-2.3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libc.so.6:
> 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> that cant be good, right?

You can't run linux executables on cygwin

- Dan