[distcc] Error "Transport endpoint is not connected"

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Feb 10 20:24:23 GMT 2005

On 10 Feb 2005, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:

> On 2/10/2005, "Koehler, Thomas" wrote:
>
> > I try to use distcc with two windows-maschines, one NT4 and one with
> > Win98. The Win98-PC is a compile-server running the distcc-daemon.
> > "distccd" is started on the compile-server, its log-file says it's
> > listening to 0.0.0.0:3632 and 3 processes named "distccd" are created.
> >
> > After starting the compiling via 'make CC="distcc ccpentium" -j4' on the
> > NT-PC, distcc tries to distribute some files to be compiled on the Win98
> > machine, but this fails with the error message:
> >
> > "(dcc_writex) ERROR: failed to write: Transport endpoint is not  connected"
> >
> > Why can't the NT-PC connect with the Win98 machine ?
>
> Remember that you need to run distccd on both machines, not just the
> compile-server. Your local distcc client will connect to the local
> distccd daemon, which itself will connect to the remote distccd. The
> local distcc client cannot connect to the remote server directly. At
> least this is how I understood it.

No, that is incorrect.  The client program sends directly to the
remote server.  You do not need a server running on a machine that
only acts as a client.

The error is surprising because it happens after distcc thought the
socket had opened.  I can think of two possibilities: perhaps the
nonblocking open code doesn't work properly on your machine, and so
the socket has not opened yet.  Or perhaps the server has dropped the
socket while it's open.  I need to see a verbose log of both ends to
know.

Did you build it under Cygwin, or something else?  If so, what
version?