[distcc] handle gas .incbin like .include?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Dec 20 12:31:35 GMT 2004

On 15 Dec 2004, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:
> I ran into a problem building a recent kernel the other day, because
> the kernel uses incbin, when available, to include the contents of a
> dynamic library (vsyscall) into a section of an object file, as a
> binary blob.  distcc happily preprocesses vsyscall.S and ships it for
> distccd to assemble, where the distccd-started gas won't be able to
> perform the incbin, unless you're lucky to have its cwd in the kernel
> build tree.

Thanks for the report.  This does seem to be a bug.

distcc doesn't do anything to .S or .s files.

The problem here seems to be that arch/x86_64/ia32/syscall32.c has an
.incbin directive within an asm directive.

I'm not sure what to do here.  I guess we could scan through C source
for strings like ".incbin".  Can that be separated out into an
assembly file, or at least put DISTCC_HOSTS=localhost in the makefile
for that file.