[distcc] moving to Grid Engine / Condor

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Dec 14 06:58:20 GMT 2004

On 30 Nov 2004, Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <papadopo at www.NOSPAM.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We intend to install Grid Engine or Condor on our farm of PCs. We
> already have distcc running on this farm.
>
> Has anybody experience with both running in parallel? Could this cause
> extra problems, due maybe to improper load balancing?
>
> Since distcc is partly redundant once Grid Engine or Condor are
> installed, do you know of a Grid Engine or Condor module that does what
> distcc does?

One person writes:

   Just wanted to drop you a line to say that we are now using distcc
   at work and it is excellent. We have a rack of opteron machines
   that we use for computational tasks and we are now using them as a
   compile farm to compile our ~1MLOC C++ tree (which can take an hour
   on a single CPU to recompile if we change certain header files). We
   tried using Sun's grid engine to do this (we already use it to
   schedule our computational jobs), but the combination of its polled
   operation and the overhead of NFS led to little improvement (and
   greatly stressed our network). With distcc compile times are way
   down and my productivity has greatly improved; the two best
   features for me are its low impact on the network and its
   simplicity.

Please let me know how it works for you.