[distcc] Contributing to distCC

Assaf Lavie lavie at runbox.com
Mon Dec 13 20:53:27 GMT 2004

(firstly, thanks for taking the time to help out)
About the duration of our workshop: I was talking about a school-year (times 3), and a portion of the time is allotted for research/documentation/etc. So the lower bound for the length of our commitment can be significantly smaller than 3 man-years - IOW, we're under no obligation to "fill" a year of work; however, we are obliged to make a significant contribution, however long it takes.

You mentioned Java. It sounds like a cool idea. Do you mean that we adapt the existing project to work with Java instead of GCC by, I guess, providing a gcc-like proxy for the Java compiler? Separating Java preprocessing (or the
equivalent) from compilation?

Generalizing distCC from "just" C compilation to general distributed batch processing appears to me, prima facie, not to conform with our requirements, since there are already numerous (open-source) grid computing projects out there. We'd like to focus specifically on compilation.

About improving the scheduling - we have at our disposal a lab with more than a few computers. Did you have any specific ideas in mind for improving scheduling that might give us a first step in this direction?

We had an idea, albeit somewhat 'academic' in nature, to further dissect the compilation process and see if that can improve the build speed. To dive into GCC, separate the different parts of the compilation process itself, and perform some of them in parallel. Just a rough idea at the moment, to be honest. But if you see any merit in it we'd be very glad to hear your opinion.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply and for sharing your ideas with us.
We would like very much to reach a decision about how to contribute in a week or two and get to work as soon as possible.

Assaf Lavie