[distcc] Status of distcc-zeroconf

Lennart Poettering mzqvfgpp at 0pointer.de
Thu Nov 25 16:56:14 GMT 2004

On Thu, 25.11.04 15:10, Martin Pool (martinpool at gmail.com) wrote:

> > What is the current status of distcc+zeroconf? I am really interested
> > in this. I saw that there was a thread on this mailing list earlier
> > this year, but there was no final conclusion as it seems. The apple
> > code has not been merged, will it ever? (due to licensing issues, and
> > code ugliness, is that right?)
>
> Those are the reasons; I can't say they will never be fixed.
>
> Also there was some question of whether it was better to use mDNS or
> some other discovery protocol.

Support for mDNS/DNS-SD doesn't contradict support for SLP. You're not
required to make use of zeroconf based on DNS-SD if you don't want
to. I am planning to implement zeroconf support by adding a special
pseudo hostname like "+zeroconf" or something like this for
DISTCC_HOSTS. Set it and use zeroconf or don't set it and don't use
it. It's that easy. If someone should implement for SLP based zeroconf
stuff he might want to add another pseudo hostname, perhaps "+slp" or
something like that.

> > In case nobody else is currently working on this, I'd like to add
> > support for this now, based on howl.
>
> OK.  What are the advantages of howl compared to others?

It's the only implementation of mDNS/DNS-SD that is sufficently stable
and GPL-compatible. In addition it is the only implementation that is
currently available in Debian.

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }