[distcc] Patch for propogating environment variables

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Sun Nov 14 11:31:02 GMT 2004

Hello,

I've a cluster that I'd like to use for various things related to
DragonFly BSD, one of these is compilation benchmarking and making
regular builds of the DragonFly BSD world. Our build system requires GCC
to bootstrap itself and, at some point, it uses the bootstrapped GCC to
continue building. This is done by setting the OBJFORMAT environment
variable.

There are other important environment variables in our build process as
well.

I have thus developed a patch to send the environment variables from the
master machine to all the build drones. I understand that this patch may
not make it into the distcc development tree, as it is only really
useful for us (as far as I know) and because it does require a shared
filesystem so that the drones can access the bootstrapped GCC as well
(if there are ideas on other ways to handle this, it'd be appreciated).

However, I'm having problems with the patch. Namely, it's segfaulting
(and only doing so when it's not being run inside gdb, even though I do
see several junk pointers which appear around the argv parsing). If
anybody can take a look at this patch and suggest what is being done
incorrectly, I (and several other DragonFly members) would certainly
appreciate it.

The only real issue I'm aware of with the patch at the moment is that,
although it implements an ,env hostspec and new protocol versions, it
ignores them. Additionally, placing the env vars is a hack.

The patch is available at http://www.sitetronics.com/distcc.patch --
please let me know if there is more information I can give you to help
diagnose the issue. I'm willing to give access to the cluster if required.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell