[distcc] Multiple people running distcc at once, using one DISTCC_DIR

Jake McGuire jake at boom.net
Tue Sep 21 15:49:29 GMT 2004

Lock files not getting cleaned up is not a problem, as the checking is
not done on their existence, but rather their lockedness or
unlockedness.  This does get cleaned up automatically, so there
shouldn't be a problem.

We haven't seen the issue with lock files being owned by someone else,
but changing your umask is not a bad idea, and for the state files as
well.  I think we have patches locally that will do this, but I'll see
if I can release them or fold them back into distcc.

Also, if you aren't randomizing the host list, you really want to do
so, and (IMHO) it's worth increasing the number of allowable jobs on
the remote machines so that you'll be unlikely to have lock contention,
as with 70 engineers and a networked lock directory that'll get ugly,
fast.

Feel free to contact me off-line if you have any more questions.

-jake