[distcc] RE: Distcc with make

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Sun Jun 27 19:47:36 GMT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, "Verma, Ajay" <ajve at chevrontexaco.com> wrote:

> I mean to say that if a Makefile is there in any folder which has to
> build a library and an executable.  This executable depends on
> library.

I suppose you've got some reading to do on Makefiles.  make makes no
such assumptions.  Any dependencies have to be explicitly stated.

> But in case "make",everything is going fine.So I am not sure why this is
> happenening in case of "make -j".

Because make has to choose one serial execution of commands, and make
-j is released from this serialization requirement.  I.e., make
without -j works for you by accident.  It might very well not work if
another make chooses a different serialization that's still consistent
with the specified dependencies.

> Seeing everyhing is going fine in case of "make",I am assuming that all
> my dependecies are there in makefile.

You're assuming too much.

Anyway, we're *way* out of topic for this mailing list.  This list is
about distcc, not about make basics.  Please don't post any follow ups
for this thread to this list.