[distcc] small protocol extensions for -ftest-coverage, -fbranch-probabilities

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jun 25 00:54:50 GMT 2004

On 24 Jun 2004, Daniel Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> Anyone working on adding support for sending the .bb and .bbg files
> generated by the compiler on -ftest-coverage from the server back to
> the client, or sending the .da files for -fbranch-probabilities from
> the client to the server?
>
> Three new tokens would need to be added to the protocol: if
> -ftest-coverage is given, DOBB and DBBG tokens would be sent back
> from the server before DOTO; if -fbranch-probabilities is given, a
> DODA token would be sent to the server right before the DOTI, but
> that's about it, I think.
>
> (Making sure the .da files get the right embedded path will be a bit
> tricky; it'll probably require a small patch to gcc.  But hey, I'm
> not scared of that :-)

Rather than special-casing it, I'd prefer to just let the client
specify a list of files that ought to be pulled back from the server
after the command completes.  Then we can support more options like
this by just adding to the client.

I plan to do this after fixing the mmap/lzo issue, and putting in a
timeout and better balancing.

See protocol-3.txt in arch for a partial description.

http://sourcefrog.net/archzoom/mbp@sourcefrog.net--2004/distcc--devel--2--patch-33/doc/protocol-3.txt?download