[distcc] distcc problems...

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 10 23:27:59 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
> If he's running distccmon-text then he is attempting to make use of
> them.

gah, I missed that.

> ...  But a similar technique is used for
> lock files, which are not optional.  If your filesystem is flaking
> out, there may be more problems than just the monitor failing.  (In
> fact, there have been one or two previous reports of build failures
> caused by NFS problems.)

OK, so even if he disabled the monitor file writing, he might have trouble.

>>You can probably work around this by setting DISTCC_DIR to some
>>directory on a local hard drive that you have write permission to.
>

> That might be a good idea.  tmpfs (or whatever it's called on Solaris)
> might work too.
> Let's work out what is really wrong.

OK, the report was

> However, when I have multiple builds going at the same time, using the same set of servers, I get one of the following three messages.
>
> distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS file handle
> or
> distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number: /home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563

Perhaps he's running distccmon on a different machine
than the distcc client, and accessing ~/.distcc via nfs?
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=netappCJyvKo.MrI%40netcom.com
suggests that readers should just assume files which return ESTALE
have been deleted.  That means dcc_close should ignore ESTALE.
No idea about the dcc_mon_read_state problem, though.
- Dan