[distcc] distcc problems...

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 10 17:52:10 GMT 2004

ahasty at chiaro.com wrote:
> However, when I have multiple builds going at the same time, using the same set of servers, I get one of the following three messages.
>
> distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS file handle
> or
> distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number: /home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563

It seems you're being bitten by a feature of distcc that you probably aren't
using: the state files that let other programs watch distcc's state.
Am I right in assuming these files are not used by distcc itself?
It seems that this feature can cause problems; perhaps it should be
off by default.  Thanks for the warning, I might well have run into this
myself soon.

You can probably work around this by setting DISTCC_DIR to some
directory on a local hard drive that you have write permission to.
Or perhaps you could just gut dcc_note_state() so it becomes a no-op
if you don't use any of the monitors.
- Dan