[distcc] distcc problems...

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Mar 10 02:43:35 GMT 2004

On  9 Mar 2004, ahasty at chiaro.com wrote:
> Hello
>

> I read about distcc in the magazine CUJ a couple of months ago and
> have been working to get it operational and in our build
> environment. I love the tool and I'll be providing some data for you
> results page in the near future.

That's good.

> distccmon-text[10782] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd4: Stale NFS file handle
> or
> distccmon-text[960] (dcc_mon_read_state) Warning: wrong magic number: /home/ahasty/.distcc/state/binstate_12563
> or
> distcc[2679] (dcc_close) ERROR: failed to close fd7: Resource temporarily unavailable

As the error suggests, these are probably NFS failures.  I take it
you're building on NFS?

Because distcc runs compilations faster than an average bear, it can
stress networks and filesystems more than normal and find latent
problems.

If the filesystem is failing there may not be much distcc can do.  But
if you can isolate the problem, perhaps we can work around it, or at
least document it.

So you should try to work out what is calling NFS to fail.  Maybe you
need a patch, or maybe there is some option that can be changed to
reduce the amount of caching.