[distcc] Distccd port

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 03:04:53 GMT 2003

On 29 Oct 2003, William <bill at vectracon.com> wrote:
> I have decided that I would like to take on the task of porting the
> distcc daemon system to windows so that I, and possibly others, can take
> advantage of windows systems on our network.
>
> The current method of doing so just kinda...is poor. That method
> includes either cygwin usage, or VMWare usage. Both cause a loss of
> computer power, and I, personally, just couldn't get cygwin to work period.
>
> Now, I know the crosscompiling will be...weird, but I'll try anyway,
> wont be any worse than cygwin methinks.

Let me know how you go.  Please try to confine the changes to as small
a layer as you can, so that they can stay up to date if the main
version changes.

> I need a slight bit of information though, if anyone would be willing.
> I'm reading through the source code right now, but it would be helpful
> if someone can tell me the exact steps that are taken by both distcc and
> the daemon. Knowing this I can better grok the source code, and in fact
> speed up the process of building a basic distcc daemon with which I can
> begin testing and building upon.

You probably already gathered that we decide where to run, run cpp,
open the connection, send the parameters and preprocessed source, wait
for the remote compiler to complete, and then write out the errors or
object.

If you have other questions that are hard to work out from the source
please go ahead and ask on the list.

                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004