(fwd from kirtis_b@shaw.ca) Re: [distcc] libxml2-2.5.9 fails with distcc.

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Aug 13 03:46:46 GMT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Kirtis Bakalarczyk <kirtis_b at shaw.ca> -----

From: Kirtis Bakalarczyk <kirtis_b at shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [distcc] libxml2-2.5.9 fails with distcc.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:39:19 -0400
To: Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>
Cc: lisa at gentoo.org
	version=2.55

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 10:04  PM, Martin Pool wrote:

>Thankyou for the report.
>
>On 12 Aug 2003, Kirtis Bakalarczyk <kirtis_b at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>><snip>
>
>This very much looks like a real failure in libxml, not anything to do
>with distcc, particular because the fallback mechanism made it not be
>built locally.

>In fact, I seem to recall seeing that exact failure with libxml.  I
>think there is some problem with its dependencies or autoconf script.
>Perhaps it's not finding the right type for some kind of *len_t
>typedef?
>
>Can you have a look at that location in the source and work out what's
>going wrong?

Well i'm relatively certain that it is at least not libxml because if i
reenable distcc and remerge libxml it fails again.  I suppose it's
possible that it isn't directly related to distcc, but distcc is where
the evidence seems to point, which is why i reported it here.

And i'm afraid that poking around in the source is slightly beyond my
abilities atm.

>><snip>
>
>Are you 100% sure you didn't change anything else in between builds,
>like installing another package?

Well, as i stated above, I can reproduce it under the same conditions.
I do also have ccache in my FEATURES list.. Could this be affecting it?

>><snip>
>
>This is normal for a local build.
>
>Would you please set DISTCC_SAVE_TEMPS=1 and post the preprocessed
>input (.i file)?

Once again, I'm afraid I can't be much help here as i've never come
across a *.i before and wouldn't know where to find one.

I attached the output from emerge info, and i'll do the bug report
next. I'm using Mail on my iBook, so i hope it doesn't do something
weird with the attachment like outlook does.

KIRT

----- End forwarded message -----