[distcc] distcc 2.9 released

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Jul 22 02:57:58 GMT 2003

On 22 Jul 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > 2.9 is out.  Use of mmapped files and compression seems to make it
> > measurably faster in at least some situations, so I encourage you to
> > try upgrading.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who sent bug reports, patches or success reports.
>
> I've made some new packages for distcc 2.9 and reviewed the
> README.packaging. The last paragraph also refers to renaming the different
> compilers and I was wondering if you could at least mention the naming
> policy we discussed before, eg:
>
> 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-2.96
> 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2
> 	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2.2

OK.

> If the same convention is used on different platforms, distcc has a bigger
> chance of working out of the box while compiling in mixed
> environments.

Yes.

> I also noticed distcc ships with a Red Hat init-script now, but my
> packages have an init-script embedded in the SPEC file along with some
> other config files, that SPEC file is here:
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc/distcc.spec

The one in CVS is just an example; I don't test it.

The spec looks good.  Perhaps you could add a comment to the xinetd
file that it if it's on, the daemon should be turned off?

You might put '--nice 5' in the default options.  You might add
examples of others as comments in  the sysconfig file, in particular
--jobs and --allow.

> 	ftp://people.redhat.com/aoliva/rpms/9/i386/

OK.