[distcc] distcc 2.9 released

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jul 21 23:41:27 GMT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> 2.9 is out.  Use of mmapped files and compression seems to make it
> measurably faster in at least some situations, so I encourage you to
> try upgrading.
>
> Thanks to everyone who sent bug reports, patches or success reports.

I've made some new packages for distcc 2.9 and reviewed the
README.packaging. The last paragraph also refers to renaming the different
compilers and I was wondering if you could at least mention the naming
policy we discussed before, eg:

	i386-redhat-linux-cc-2.96
	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2
	i386-redhat-linux-cc-3.2.2

If the same convention is used on different platforms, distcc has a bigger
chance of working out of the box while compiling in mixed environments.

I also noticed distcc ships with a Red Hat init-script now, but my
packages have an init-script embedded in the SPEC file along with some
other config files, that SPEC file is here:

	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc/distcc.spec

Any feedback on the distcc.spec is appreciated.

PS The url to the RPM packages of Alexandre Olivia listed on
http://distcc.samba.org/binaries.html should refer to:

	ftp://people.redhat.com/aoliva/rpms/9/i386/

or you could link to 2 directories up (like Terry's packages). Now it just
links to very old releases.

Thanks in advance,