[distcc] please test 2.9cvs

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jul 21 00:55:48 GMT 2003

On 17 Jul 2003, Wayne Davison <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:48:52PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I would like to release 2.9 on the weekend.  The main change is that
> > LZO compression can now be used, which can make builds much faster
> > over anything slower than 100Mbps ethernet.
>
> The NEWS file says 10Mbps, BTW.

NEWS says 100 now.

> Is the email more accurate, or the NEWS file?

I'm not sure yet.  There may be no single good answer.  The breakpoint
is somewhere less than 100Mbps, but it will as ever vary depending on
circumstances.  If you have a lot of remote machines and very complex
source then it may be that even 100Mbps networks need compression for
optimum speed.

It would be interesting to test fast (55Mbps?) wireless, but I don't
have access to one.

So on the whole until there's more data I'm going to say: >=100Mbps,
use uncompressed; for less use compression.

I considered trying to autodetect it, but I couldn't think of a
reasonable heuristic.  In any case the fact that it needs a server
update made me decide to do it manually and off by default.

I'm just going to add something to the manual.

> Also, I'd like to see the simple PATH patch applied that makes distccd
> stop scanning the PATH if it finds a non-symlink "cc".  This is at least
> an improvement to the current heuristic until a better solution is
> implemented.

OK.