[distcc] Re: Can't get distcc working properly, help!

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 9 15:55:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:02:31PM +0100, Luke Guest wrote:
> I'm using -MM (I ripped the %.d: %.cpp rule from the gmake manual). If
> there's a better way to generate dependencies, then I don't know it.

It would help if you provided the rules out of your Makefile that are
failing.  I found this in the GNU make info pages:

%.d: %.c
	$(CC) -M $(CPPFLAGS) $< > $@.$$$$; \
	sed 's,\($*\)\.o[ :]*,\1.o $@ : ,g' <
	$@.$$$$ > $@; \
	rm -f $@.$$$$

I don't see a .cpp version or one that specifies -MM.  I tried the above
code using either -M or -MM, and distcc ran it locally without any
problems (saying that it couldn't be distributed).

> mkdir -p /usr/lib/distcc/bin
> cd /usr/lib/distcc/bin
> ln -s /usr/bin/distcc <path to compilers>/ee-gcc

Remove the "<path to compilers>/" part -- you're creating a symlink
inside the /usr/lib/distcc/bin dir.

> export PATH="/usr/lib/distcc/bin:$PATH"
>
> I shouldn't need the PATH to be setup as it would find the compiler?

No, masquerade mode doesn't help with the PATH problem at all.  I was
just answering your question about what it is.  It makes it possible to
use distcc without playing any games with CC or making changes to your
Makefile to directly call distcc.  But your distccd (daemon) processes
still need to have the compiler(s) available on the PATH for it to be
found.

..wayne..