[distcc] Re: Can't get distcc working properly, help!

Luke Guest lguest at bubball.com
Wed Jul 9 15:02:31 GMT 2003

"Wayne Davison" <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:20030709060558.GA14604 at binome.blorf.net...
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:48:06AM +0100, Luke Guest wrote:
> > 2) I can build for Linux our project over the two machines, if  I take
the
> > dependency generation (ripped from the make manual).
>
> Did you mean to say "if I take _out_ the dependency generation"?  I.e.,

Er...yeah.

> is this a problem with -MD compatibility?

I'm using -MM (I ripped the %.d: %.cpp rule from the gmake manual). If
there's a better way to generate dependencies, then I don't know it.

> > 3) I cannot build for PS2, error 110, distcc can never find the
compilers.

> How distcc finds a compiler depends on how it is called.  It sounds like
> you're calling it without an absolute path for the compiler name, i.e.
> you're using the command "distcc some-compiler -c foo.c" as opposed to
> using "distcc /some/path/some-compiler -c foo.c", right?  If so, then
> you do indeed need to ensure that the PATH is setup right for distccd.
> If you use an absolute pathname to the compiler, then you don't need to
> get PATH setup, but you do need to have the compiler in the same place
> on all the systems.

Yeah, that's how we're doing it.

> I don't like using xinetd, since it's harder to setup and it's not as
> efficient as the pre-forked daemon mode.  I recommend putting an init
> file in /etc/init.d (and perhaps symlinking it into a runlevel for
> automatic startup on boot).  You can then set PATH or DISTCCD_PATH
> inside the init file and have it affect the PATH that distccd will use
> when it runs.

Ah, I see.

> At that point, whenever someone tries to run "gcc" they get distcc, and
> it runs gcc (because its symlink is named gcc).

So if I use:

mkdir -p /usr/lib/distcc/bin
cd /usr/lib/distcc/bin
ln -s /usr/bin/distcc <path to compilers>/ee-gcc
export PATH="/usr/lib/distcc/bin:$PATH"

I shouldn't need the PATH to be setup as it would find the compiler?

> ..wayne..

Thanks, I'll have another go with the runlevel thingy.

Luke.