[distcc] Re: issue fix proposal for distcc and intel C++ 7.1

Markus Werle numerical.simulation at web.de
Mon Jul 7 14:23:27 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:

> Fallback is enabled by default.

Yes, something we could discuss.

Also DISTCC_FALLBACK=1
AFAICS disables fallback on my platform.

> Verbose should only be needed for debugging.

No. there should be several levels of verboseness.
debugging messages should come with --debug / -d

> I am not sure in what way setting the hostlist on the command line is
> easier than setting it in a file or the environment.

Environment vars should be deprecated.
They make usage unnecessarily complex.

> > Option "-f" at hand:
> >
> > make CC="distcc -f ./config_file_for_icpc"
> >
> > I'd prefer no default filename, so no accidents occur in wrong
> > environments. If you forget you get an error.
>
> I think on the whole I would like to compile a special program called
> say distcc-icpc, which is bound to that file, or which determines
> which one to use based on argv[0].

This sounds like you are avoiding the solution of  the latent problem of
distcc code: There is no proper command line handling, but there should be
something like that.

Did You consider yacc or its alternatives?:

- Markus Werle has a C++ solution he may contribute to the public
- sourceforge has some C solutions, see
   http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=46&discrim=164
   or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lapg/