[distcc] Re: issue fix proposal for distcc and intel C++ 7.1

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jul 7 11:07:05 GMT 2003

On  7 Jul 2003, Markus Werle <numerical.simulation at web.de> wrote:
> Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > Now that hosts can be taken from a file, it shouldn't be necesary to
> > set any variables in most cases.
>
> how about
>
> make CC="distcc --verbose --hosts=\"mach:9999 sylvie:9999\" --disable-fallback  --compiler=icpc"
>
> instead of
>
> export DISTCC_VERBOSE=1
> export DISTCC_HOSTS=mach:9999 sylvie:9999 hooke:9999 localhost
> export DISTCC_FALLBACK=1
> make CC="disctcc icpc"

Fallback is enabled by default.  Verbose should only be needed for debugging.

I am not sure in what way setting the hostlist on the command line is
easier than setting it in a file or the environment.

> Option "-f" at hand:
>
> make CC="distcc -f ./config_file_for_icpc"
>
> I'd prefer no default filename, so no accidents occur in wrong
> environments. If you forget you get an error.

I think on the whole I would like to compile a special program called
say distcc-icpc, which is bound to that file, or which determines
which one to use based on argv[0].