[distcc] gcc bootstraps with distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 3 00:00:23 GMT 2003

On  2 Jul 2003, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm undecided.  People like to be able to share ccaches, despite the
> fact that, if they do, they'll end up visiting a different, shared
> source code base (which is generally fine, since, if there was a cache
> hit, the code is identical anyway).  However, we could argue for
> having it enabled by default, and disabled with a flag.  I was just
> trying to preserve as much of the status quo as possible.

Even leaving aside people sharing ccaches, this would cause trouble
for the common case of developers with several versions of a tree in
different directories.  They will get no hits between trees, and their
cache will be exhausted proportionally faster.

However, I think it is a bug not a feature that ccache allows people
to hit on out object files that were built in a different directory
and contain the wrong debug info.

In general I would like to favour correctness over performance.

Perhaps this feature could be turned on if -g is specified?

Whatever the default is, I think it would be great to at least have
the option of getting the correct directory.  Thankyou for writing it
and considering it.