[distcc] distcc-xfree-gentoo problems

Brad Cowan bcowan at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 27 04:52:47 GMT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:20:31 +1000
Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2003, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:

> > Does anyone know of any issues or tricks with distcc and xfree that
> > I should be aware of?
>
> Some source trees disable parallel builds because of known bugs in
> their makefiles.  I think Mozilla does this, but I don't know about
> XFree.  This can be done either in the upstream makefile or in the
> ebuild.
>
> If that's the case the only real solution is to fix the Makefiles and
> send patches upstream.  I have done this for a few GNOME packages.  It
> can be a bit hard.  Hopefully distcc will motivate more people to do
> it.

The xfree build on Gentoo uses a function called get_number_of_jobs that
sets the -j value to the number of local cpu's +1. You could comment
that out of the ebuild, but it's there because building xfree in
parallel sometimes causes random breakage. Also as Martin mentioned the
makefiles for xfree would need some patching of which would probably
take a VERY considerable time investment.

--
Brad Cowan <bcowan at gentoo.org>
Developer,

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE  20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56