[distcc] distcc-xfree-gentoo problems

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jun 27 04:20:31 GMT 2003

On 27 Jun 2003, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:
> In preparation for our distccd assisted gentoo installfest, I had a
> tester report to me that xfree4.3.0 did not appear to be using distcc
> when compiling on gentoo. Unfortunately he did not give much more detail.
>
> Does anyone know of any issues or tricks with distcc and xfree that I
> should be aware of?

Some source trees disable parallel builds because of known bugs in
their makefiles.  I think Mozilla does this, but I don't know about
XFree.  This can be done either in the upstream makefile or in the
ebuild.

If that's the case the only real solution is to fix the Makefiles and
send patches upstream.  I have done this for a few GNOME packages.  It
can be a bit hard.  Hopefully distcc will motivate more people to do
it.