[distcc] ERROR: sendfile failed: Connection reset by peer

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri May 23 00:15:16 GMT 2003

On 22 May 2003, Wayne Davison <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:35:37PM +0200, Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS wrote:
> > distcc[17780] (dcc_pump_sendfile) ERROR: sendfile failed: Connection reset by peer
>
> Have you checked the log file on the server that was in use at the time?
> I think that error means that the daemon either gave up and closed the
> connection or crashed.

Yes, that is probably what happened.

If there is no log message then it may have crashed.

Could you please try to get a stack trace from the server?

One way is to run it under gdb, with the options

  --daemon --no-fork --no-detach --log-stderr --verbose

Another way is to run "ulimit -c 100000" and then start it as a
non-root user.  This should produce a corefile.  (Starting as nonroot
is necessary because Linux disables coredumps on processes that change
uid.)

Another suboptimal approach would be to run strace -ff on the server.

What distribution and version are you using?