[distcc] Running on multiple serversproblem / persistent connections

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri May 16 07:28:07 GMT 2003

On 16 May 2003, Michal Czerwinski <holmier at mail.inomail.pl> wrote:

> Hmm negligible?  I'm still convinience that it takes a little long
> time...to operate the compile preocess connecting every time we want
> to compile something, than doing all the stuff in one connection.

Well, see if you can measure it.  Opening the connection takes 3
packets, which is small compared to the hundreds it takes for a
request.  Also it is overlapped with preprocessing, so the client is
unlikely to block waiting for the connection to open.

A separate item is that forking a new server process every time is a
little inefficient, but it makes things more reliable.  Fixing that so
that servers hang around as in Apache would be more useful I think.

> Generally we should avoid such things like repeating the same
> process every time, if we can do it only once and let others to use
> it.  Don't you think so?

Yes, generally we should avoid repetitive work, but there is such a
thing as premature optimization.  That's why I asked if it was really
important.