[distcc] Re: gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed May 14 00:22:31 GMT 2003

On 13 May 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS wrote:
>
> > There are two 'cc' programs in this PATH. The first one is in '/usr/bin'
> > and the second one is in '/usr/local/bin'. It seems something's going
> > wrong with path trimming in such a configuration. The PATH shouldn't be
> > trimmed because the first 'cc' encountered in the PATH is correct, so
> > the second 'cc' encountered in the PATH has no effect.
> >
> > Please find attached a patch that fixes this problem by replacing
> > 'continue' by 'break' in some cases.
>
> I see you having a lot of trouble, and I'm wondering. Why don't you just
> stick to packages ?

I agree that binary packages are generally easier for people to
install.  (With all due respect to our Gentoo/LFS/Sourcemage/...
friends :-)

However, if Dimitri is able to spend time finding real bugs (as this
is) in distcc and reporting them, plus testing on platforms I can't
personally access, then I for one am very grateful.

> You can find working packages at:
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc/
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc-compilers-redhat/

Dimitri has Solaris machines as well...