[distcc] Re: gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue May 13 19:28:31 GMT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS wrote:

> There are two 'cc' programs in this PATH. The first one is in '/usr/bin'
> and the second one is in '/usr/local/bin'. It seems something's going
> wrong with path trimming in such a configuration. The PATH shouldn't be
> trimmed because the first 'cc' encountered in the PATH is correct, so
> the second 'cc' encountered in the PATH has no effect.
>
> Please find attached a patch that fixes this problem by replacing
> 'continue' by 'break' in some cases.

I see you having a lot of trouble, and I'm wondering. Why don't you just
stick to packages ? You can find working packages at:

	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc/
	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc-compilers-redhat/

You only have to install the packages, enable distccd (sysv) in setup, add
the build-server to hosts.allow (127.0.0.1 is the default) and start
distccd. And you will be able to use the cluster to build stuff for RH62,
RH73, RH80 and RH9.

Make sure to use the proper C-compiler by using
i386-redhat-linux-gcc-{2.91.6,2.96,3.2,3.2.2}

No messing around with PATH or with incompatible C-compilers.

I've had some problems before with mixing older distcc and distcc-2.1,
moving everything to distcc 2.2 and the distcc-compilers package solved
most of them. (I still need to investigate the other cases though)

Kind regards,
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»