[distcc] Re: Distcc & GDB (fix)

Thomas Walker Thomas.Walker at morganstanley.com
Tue May 13 17:35:47 GMT 2003

Martin,

I'm actually considering rescinding my request regarding changing the
behavior of gcc.  Although the way it works seems rather broken, every other
compiler I've been able to get my hands on in the last day or so seems to do
it this way as well... I don't know why but they do.  Although I don't use
distcc with anything other than gcc at the moment, this looks to be
something that would have to be changed in distcc to make it work the same
way for a wide range of compilers.
What are your thoughts on having the distcc client automatically expand
foo.c to $PWD/foo.c before passing it to the preprocessor?  You would
obviously have to make this optional (I'll leave whether to enable it by
default or not to you) to avoid breaking ccache until (if?) they look into
interpreting the .i file a bit before hashing.  This would make debuggers
work on all platforms without too much effort...

Tom.