[distcc] Re: gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as'

Dimitri PAPADOPOULOS-ORFANOS papadopo at shfj.DECOY.cea.NOSPAM.fr
Mon May 12 15:49:31 GMT 2003

Hi again,

>> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
>

> I read in the NEWS file:
>
>     * The search path is examined in both the client and
>       server, and directories containing distcc (and ccache,
>       where appropriate) masquerade hooks are removed. This
>       should help prevent distcc accidentally invoking itself
>       recursively on either client or server. Patch from
>       Wayne Davison.
>
> Since I have PATH problems, this change could be causing the problems
> I'm experiencing.

This is a problem with setting PATH indeed. Here is a typical server log
just after starting distccd in verbose mode:

distccd[11415] (dcc_set_path) setting PATH=/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin
distccd[11415] distccd (version 2.1, built May 12 2003 11:26:27)
listening on port 3632
distccd[11415] (dcc_standalone_server) 4 CPUs online
distccd[11415] (dcc_ignore_sighup) ignoring SIGHUP
distccd[11439] (dcc_parent_loop) waiting to accept connection

As you can see the PATH is wrong. The default PATH for root is:
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
and for some reason most of the path is discarded.

Any clues?

Regards,
--
Dimitri