[distcc] What's this about dlopen?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu May 8 05:31:43 GMT 2003

On  6 May 2003, Aaron Lehmann <aaronl at vitelus.com> wrote:
> If you do this, try it with uclibc too. It makes a 36k distcc binary
> on my box (wow). And that's without using gcc -Os. Also, it works with
> /usr/lib/libpopt.a, unlike dietlibc which was missing some symbols. I
> had to recompile popt with dietlibc to build distcc against it. To try
> uclibc, apt-get install libuclibc-dev uclibc-toolchain. Set CC to
> i386-uclibc-gcc.

Yes, it is impressively small.  It seems to be a bit faster at
starting up but I didn't test it rigorously, and I don't know if it
would really matter in the context of a large build.

> I had to add -I/usr/include for dpopt.c. Of course, link distcc and
> distccd against a static libpopt (the one in /usr/lib worked for
> me).

For me, it worked better to configure --with-included-popt.

Please let the list know if you measure a performance difference.