[distcc] What's this about dlopen?

Aaron Lehmann aaronl at vitelus.com
Wed May 7 02:43:45 GMT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:20:54PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> It might be interesting to measure it using the i386 performance
> monitoring counters, but I don't know of a tool that easily exposes
> them.  I suppose there is one.

If you do this, try it with uclibc too. It makes a 36k distcc binary
on my box (wow). And that's without using gcc -Os. Also, it works with
/usr/lib/libpopt.a, unlike dietlibc which was missing some symbols. I
had to recompile popt with dietlibc to build distcc against it. To try
uclibc, apt-get install libuclibc-dev uclibc-toolchain. Set CC to
i386-uclibc-gcc. I had to add -I/usr/include for dpopt.c. Of course,
link distcc and distccd against a static libpopt (the one in /usr/lib
worked for me).

> The static dietlibc client is about 70k

55k here (i386)