[distcc] Re: distcc RPM packages for RH62, RH73, RH80 and RH9

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon May 5 02:29:19 GMT 2003

On  4 May 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I'm building distcc for several RH distributions, you can find these
> packages at:
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/distcc/
>
> Or use apt as described on:
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/apt/

That's great.

Perhaps you could collaborate with other people on this list
interested in packaging?

> Now, I'd like to create a compilation package containing all RH compilers
> so that people can set up a recent RH box, install the compiler collection
> package and use that one machine to build for the various RH
> distributions.
>
> I'm not sure what I would need for that, I read only the compiler was
> sufficient, but what exactly of the compiler is needed ? And how would I
> address the compiler best ? (What name should these compilers have
> ?)

You need the compiler front end (e.g. "/usr/bin/gcc"), the compiler
itself (e.g. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/cc1), and the spec and
configuration files that gcc uses.  I'm not sure exactly which ones
are needed.  Running 'gcc -v' and similar commands should show you.

I suppose they should be named something like

  ia64-unknown-linxux-gcc-3.2

> Especially the fact that the compiler needs glibc will probably cause me
> to package glibc too for each of these distros ?

That should not be necessary.

I was recently building a gcc cross compiler, and it does seem to need
the target's glibc to build correctly.  However, I think that once the
compiler is built you ought to be able to leave the libraries and
headers out.

> Thanks for distcc !

Thanks for your help.