[distcc] distcc and g++

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Apr 15 10:47:33 GMT 2003

On 15 Apr 2003, Hamish Rodda <meddie at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> For quite a while I wondered why compiling KDE with distcc meant several
> makefiles needed to have -lstdc++ added to the LIBADD part.  Stephan Kulow
> made it clear on the KDE development mailing list today: distcc calls "cc",
> regardless of whether the program which would otherwise be called was gcc
> or g++.  This matters, because 1) linking to libstdc++ is automatic and 2)
> apparently there are other effects... (which I often notice and have to
> revert to compiling on my work machine):

Thankyou for the pointer and explanation.  I hadn't realized that
invocation as g++ implied -lstdc++ -- the manual doesn't mention
that.  I suppose I ought to test compilation through g++.

In the mean time you ought to be able to get it working with
CXX='distcc g++' or a masquerade invocation.

> Could Stephan's patch (attached for your convenience) be included in
> distcc?

That looks reasonable.