[distcc] feature request: command-line switch to avoid using localhost

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Apr 6 02:29:20 GMT 2003

On  5 Apr 2003, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:

> In general, I run `make bootstrap' from the top-level, such that
> target libraries and other components of the toolchain are built as
> well, ideally in parallel with GCC (setting NOTPARALLEL=ok).  There's
> nothing like stage1, stage2 and stage3 in the top-level.  I believe
> there are such targets in the gcc sub-directory, but using them is
> definitely far from ideal.
>
> I realize there are many different ways to work around this problem,
> but I'd rather be able to do it with as little disruption to the
> conventional process as possible.

Do we need to build stage1 remotely, or would it be enough to run the
preprocessor and compiler stages separately for local compilations?
Perhaps a DISTCC_SPLIT_LOCAL option would help?

I suppose that wouldn't fix the gcc pwd embedded in the binary, but I
presume you either build without debugging or fix that some other way?
(Somebody said off the list that the pwd problem may be fixed in a
future gcc release.)