[distcc] feature request: command-line switch to avoid using localhost

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Sun Apr 6 02:05:53 GMT 2003

On Apr  5, 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:

> Can you do
>   DISTCC_HOSTS=localhost make -j3 stage1 &&
>    DISTCC_HOSTS='127.0.0.1 foo bar' make -j6 stage2 stage3

> ?

In general, I run `make bootstrap' from the top-level, such that
target libraries and other components of the toolchain are built as
well, ideally in parallel with GCC (setting NOTPARALLEL=ok).  There's
nothing like stage1, stage2 and stage3 in the top-level.  I believe
there are such targets in the gcc sub-directory, but using them is
definitely far from ideal.

I realize there are many different ways to work around this problem,
but I'd rather be able to do it with as little disruption to the
conventional process as possible.