[distcc] 0 length files

Dara Hazeghi dhazeghi at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 02:55:58 GMT 2003

--- Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:
> On  2 Apr 2003, Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build mozilla (on MacOS X) with a
> > combination of my wrapper scripts and. Anyhow, I'm
> > having problems because there are a couple of
> files in
> > mozilla which compile to zero length .s files.
>
> Heh, I'd always wondered if that could happen.
>
> How do you get zero-length .s files, though?

You're right on Linux. However on MacOS X, Apple seems
to have changed what gcc does, so we no longer get
anything in the .s file. I'm guessing the apple folks
who did the port just didn't feel the need to include
the ident string...

> > As a result, distcc doesn't return the (empty)
> file, and the build
> > fails. Now this wouldn't be an issue, if I didn't
> have to use -S,
> > since zero-length .s files result in
> nonzero-length .o files, but
> > for reasons elaborated earlier, I lack the
> necessary
> > cross-assembler. Any suggestions? Thanks,
>
> I guess distcc could/should be fixed to distinguish
> empty from
> nonexistent.

That'd be quite helpful. Since I'm debugging my
wrapper program, it's tough to see where cc1 is
failing, and where distcc just isn't returning a file
:-)

Thanks,

Dara