[distcc] Re: distcc todo

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Mar 2 23:58:53 GMT 2003

On  2 Mar 2003, "Ury N.Stankevich" <ury at bofh.homeunix.org> wrote:

> hi i use distcc in home switched network, and i got perfomance
> increase upto 3 times!  thanks alot.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

> but... on some pc i have installed 2 different version's of gcc so
> and in some cases locations of gcc few different
>
> i think can be helpful specify to distccd path to gcc. this allow me
> use gcc 3.2 for example locally, and use the same pc for others via
> distcc whith gcc 2.95.3

There are a few things you can do here:

If you specify an absolute path on the distcc command line, it will be
passed across to the server.  Perhaps this would be useful if you've
installed something like the Palm development environment which (when
I used it years ago) put its own version of gcc somewhere like
/opt/palm/bin/gcc

If you set PATH when starting distccd then it will use that path to
find compilers.  So if you have a compiler in a strange location (say
under /opt) on some machines, then that will let them find it.

I don't think it's a good idea to have different versions of gcc
installed under the same name but in different directories.  It will
probably work but the potential for confusion seems high.  It's much
better to install gcc with fully qualified names like gcc-2.95.3 or
powerpc-linux-gcc-3.2, and then just make sure that all the relevant
directories are on the search path.

I'm not sure if that addresses your question.  If not please try and
explain a bit more.