[distcc] Re: Using cc1/cc1plus directly from distccd?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Feb 26 02:49:59 GMT 2003

On 18 Feb 2003, "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bmsi.com> wrote:

> My old cc1.c code support the -pipe option to gcc.  This results in ccp
> feeding directly to cc1 over the network (without a temporary file) and the
> output of cc1 feeding directly to 'as'.

OK, the big difference is that you intercept at the "cc1" level, and
distcc works only through the "cc" level.

> GNUcc spits out the assembler code for each function as it finishes
> it, so cpp, cc1, and 'as' all run in parallel during a single
> compile - and no temporaries are needed.  By running cc1 and 'a'
> separately, distcc can do this too!

I suppose distcc could assemble locally by passing -S to the remote
compiler, and then running as on the results.

If there is a clear case where this is faster or easier I'd accept a
patch for it.