[distcc] Re: Using cc1/cc1plus directly from distccd?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Feb 18 20:33:38 GMT 2003

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> It seems that distcc runs both the compiler and the assembler pass on
> the volunteer.  This makes it necessary to port both a compiler and an
> assembler for alien platforms.  In my case, AIX uses its own assembler
> syntax not supported by the GNU assembler (last I checked).  Even with
> compatible assemblers, splitting out the assembly phase provides yet
> another opportunity for parallelization.

My old cc1.c code support the -pipe option to gcc.  This results in ccp
feeding directly to cc1 over the network (without a temporary file) and the
output of cc1 feeding directly to 'as'.  GNUcc spits out the assembler code
for each function as it finishes it, so cpp, cc1, and 'as' all run in parallel
during a single compile - and no temporaries are needed.  By running cc1 and
'a' separately, distcc can do this too!