[distcc] Scaling?

Jaan Oras joras at itcollege.ee
Wed Feb 5 09:50:28 GMT 2003

Hi!

I just tried distcc in our school and i found out that using 14 computers
the speedup was about 6 times. Why isnt the speedup bigger? What limits it?

I could try to make some test with other number of computers(i could use up
to 50 p3`s plus 24 p4 at 1.7GHz) later, but if the limit is explained
somewhere then i will skip it :)

THE Test:

DistCC(http://distcc.samba.org) test

Computers:
13 P3 about 600MHz with 256MB RAM
1  P4 at 1.4GHz

Network:
100Mbit

Comments:
First 3 tests were made on P3 computers only
Last  2 tests were made on P4 computer as the main computer and P3 computers
as compiling servers

Test1:
Compiling Vim6.1 without distcc
real    3m27.970s
user    3m7.900s
sys     0m8.480s

Test2:
Compiling Vim6.1 with distcc on 2 machines
real    1m57.934s
user    1m46.180s
sys     0m7.420s

Test3:
Compiling Vim6.1 with distcc on 3 machines
real    1m29.412s
user    1m18.940s
sys     0m6.780s

Test3:
Compiling Vim6.1 with distcc on 5 machines
real    1m6.749s
user    0m56.930s
sys     0m7.040s

Test4:
Compiling QT Libraries without distcc
real    92m16.201s
user    90m13.190s
sys     1m44.520s

Test5:
Compiling QT Libraries with distcc on 14 machines
real    15m49.675s
user    11m25.110s
sys     0m33.010s