[distcc] distributed compiler

Joerg Beyer j.beyer at web.de
Sat Feb 1 15:20:10 GMT 2003

"yogesh mundada" <yogesh_mundada_netnews at hotmail.com> schrieb am 01.02.03 15:28:10:

> hello everybody,
>
> I am sorry for lack of my knowledge which will be shown in questions
> asked ahead.
>
> i just want to ask tht it is said somewhere on website of distcc tht one
> scanning of complete source code or preprocessing is required before
> distributing it.
>
> Is it possible to eliminate tht?
> I suppose tht scanning must be to avoid the complexities in syntax analysis
> phase.
> So in short is it possible to distribute the code without
> scanning even once just to divide it and start from
> syntax analysis phase?

I am not sure if I understand your question. The first step of the compilation,
the preprocessing (you call it "scanning") is done on a single machine,
because this way you dont need the same header files and libraries of
all machines installed, where you want to compile your software.

The single preprocessing machine gives you a easier way to integrate
compile-nodes in the compilation cluster.

Other tools dont do the preprocessing stage on a single machine, so
it is not _needed_.

    hope this helps
    Joerg