[distcc] temp files with same basename (was Re: Two incompatibilities between distcc & C++/configure)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 23:41:51 GMT 2003

On 31 Jan 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2003, Lezz Giles <lgiles at starentnetworks.com> wrote:

> > For the C++ error it would be nice if the server used the same
> > filename as the client.  I can't see any downside except that
> > you'd need to put the temporary files into their own directories
> > rather than having everything at the top level.

This might also be interesting as a solution to -MD: if we kept the
file basename the same, and put it in its own directory, then we ought
to reliably get the .d files in that directory too.  distcc might then
try moving them to the right place.

The problem is that "the right place" varies with different gccs, and
therefore is probably unpredictable.